Tuesday, March 7, 2017

LYN HORNER HAS A NEW RELEASE





Thank you, Charlene, for having me over today. I’m happy to visit you and talk about THE POSSE, a new western romance anthology I am excited to be part of, as are you, I’m sure.

For those who don’t know, THE POSSE is available for pre-order right now on Amazon for the bargain price of 99c. It will be released on March 15th. US  UK  CA  AU

This collection features eight short stories of action and romance by seven authors known for high voltage western fiction. Besides Charlene and myself, they are Frank Kelso, cj petterson, Chimp Robertson, JS Stroud and Chuck Tyrell. Frank contributed two stories.

My story, The Schoolmarm’s Hero, is set in 1880 Colorado. When schoolmarm Mattie Schoenbrun is kidnapped by a pair of drunken, murderous cowboys, Marshal Trace Balfour leads a posse after them, determined to save the woman he has come to respect and desire.


Here’s an excerpt from the opening scene:

“Move aside,” Marshal Trace Balfour ordered, pushing through the noisy throng gathered in the street outside the Golden Slipper Saloon. Their shouts and laughter had drawn him from his office farther along the street. Among the crowd, he identified the local Methodist preacher, the undertaker, and the owner of the mercantile across the dusty street. A half-dozen ranch hands, in town on Saturday, made most of the racket.

Trace also noticed the schoolmarm, Matilda Schoenbrun. With her brown hair wound into a tight bun at her nape, she wore a matching drab brown calico gown; she brought to mind a brown jay like those who pestered him when a boy in south Texas. After she spotted him, she drew her shoulders back, pressing her lips into a tight line to gaze down her bespectacled little nose, setting his teeth on edge.

“Marshal, please put a stop to this.” she demanded in a haughty voice.

“Ma’am, that’s what I aim to do.” Touching his hat to her, he shouldered aside bystanders whose laughter and catcalls almost overwhelmed the shrieks coming from a pair of females rolling in the dirt. Trace recognized them as saloon girls from the Golden Slipper. With red and purple skirts bunched around their knees, they fought like animals, scratching, biting, and pulling one another’s hair.

He’d rather face a gang of bank robbers than deal with these snarling wildcats. Almost tripping over their tangled petticoats, he grabbed the flailing arm of one saloon girl while he snagged the back of the other’s laced black bodice.

“That’s enough.” he growled, hauling them to their feet. One, a red-haired gal named Nellie, screeched a high note while raking his restraining hand with her sharp nails. The other, a blonde whose name he forgot, slapped his face. Cursing under his breath, he gave both snarling females a hard shake. “I said that’s enough, ladies. Either stop this or spend the night in jail.”

“I’ll behave if she will.” Nellie sneered, jabbing a finger toward the other woman.

“Let go, lawman. I won’t touch her,” said the blonde, glaring at her antagonist.

Trace glanced from one to the other. “I don’t know what started this, and I don’t care. Just remember what I said. Any more trouble from you two, I’ll throw both of you in jail. Got it?”

After receiving a grumbled, “Yeah,” from each, he released them. He watched them shake the dust from their tawdry clothes before flouncing into the saloon. Along the way, each gave the other dirty looks while pushing through the batwing doors. With them gone, he faced the crowd.

“It’s over, folks. Go on about your business.” While the onlookers dispersed, he examined his left hand. The scratches Nellie inflicted stung like the devil; blood dripped from two of them. A woman clearing her throat drew his attention.

Glancing around, he found Matilda Schoenbrun standing nearby, her brow wrinkled with worry. A thought popped into his head unbidden; she might be kind of pretty if she removed her specs, let her hair down, and smiled for a change.

“Those need cleaning,” she said, pointing a slender gloved finger at his hand. “It could turn into blood poisoning.”

He frowned at the oozing scratches. “Yeah, I reckon I’d better pay Doc Aikens a call.”

“He’s not in. I spoke with Mrs. Aikens at the mercantile a short while ago. She mentioned her husband is tending a patient who lives ten miles from town.”

Trace shrugged. “In that case, I’ll take care of it myself. Thanks for saving me a trip to the doc’s place, ma’am.” He shifted to stroll away, but her irritated voice halted him.

“I have a name, you know. It’s Miss Schoenbrun or, or Matilda, if you prefer.” Her cheeks grew red while her gaze skittered away. Her nervous hands twisted the drawstrings of her black reticule.

“Yes, ma’am, err, I mean Miz Schoenbrun. I know your name.” He rubbed his mouth to hide a grin at her embarrassment. Behind her prim and proper lady act, he realized she was as bashful as a young girl just out of the schoolroom.

She cleared her throat, again, darting a swift glance at him. “I can clean and bandage your hand, if you like.”

“That’s right kind of you, Miz … Matilda,” he said, uncertain how to proceed.

“It’s the least I can do after goading you into ending the fight. I’m sorry that vile woman scratched you.”

“Yeah, well, when you mess with a wildcat, you’re bound to get scratched.” He allowed himself a wide grin this time. “Besides, you didn’t goad me into anything. It’s my job to keep the peace.”

Her shoulders stiffened before she lifted her chin. “Be that as it may, I believe it my duty to tend your hand. I keep bandages and carbolic at the schoolhouse for scraped knees and elbows. Come with me.” She whirled, marching away. She expected him to obey like one of her students.

“Blasted female,” Trace muttered, following in her wake. He always thought of her as the skinny old maid, but from this view, she wasn’t all that thin. He canted his head, finding himself admiring the sway of her rounded hips while her skirt swished back and forth.
* * *
Surprises lie in store for both Mattie and Trace. Will being a hero end in love or tragedy? Find out in THE POSSE.


Purchase Lyn’s books on Amazon:  http://amzn.to/Y3aotC

Connect with Lyn on these sites:


Lyn Horner resides in Fort Worth, Texas, with her husband and several very spoiled cats. Trained in the visual arts, Lyn worked as a fashion illustrator and art instructor before she took up writing. She loves crafting passionate, action-packed love stories, both historical and contemporary. Her Texas Devlins series blends Old West settings, steamy romance and a glimmer of the mysterious. This series has won multiple awards and nominations.

Lyn is currently writing book six in her paranormal/romantic suspense series Romancing the Guardians. These books combine her trademark supernatural flashes with Irish folklore and a chilling prophetic theme. All feature thunderous action, suspense and sizzling romance.


6 comments:

  1. Thanks again, Charlene! I love your new website. Gorgeous banner! I'm sure you designed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it will be a fun read, Lyn. Gotta love those school marms. I was one myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, schoolmarms make great heroines. Thanks for stopping by, Linda. Always great to see you.

      Delete
  3. Charlene, I love the header of your blog! The cover for THE POSSE is also so good. Lyn, your story sounds intriguing and I know it will a good read. Best wishes to you and the other authors in this anthology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. I also love Charlene's header and The Posse cover. She's a talented graphic artist. We are all excited about the anthology launch on March 15th.

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the compliments, ladies. And thank you, Lyn, for blogging with me.

    ReplyDelete