Wednesday, September 20, 2017

COME MEET ELAINE DODGE


Thank you for hosting me today, Charlene. 
 
You're very welcome, Elaine. Tell me, when did you start writing?
 I started writing thanks to my profession. Professions actually. When I worked in Advertising I was not only a designer but quickly became both a concept creative and a copywriter. When I moved into Television Production I focused on concept, proposal and script writing. It was while I was writing proposals for international broadcasters that I realised I loved storytelling. 
 
I did a Romance Writing course and, as part of the homework, tried out a few of the scenes of my first novel, ‘Harcourt’s Mountain’. A story I’d had in mind for quite some time.
The facilitator of the course took me aside one day and told me to write the book. I am forever grateful to him.

How many books have you written now?
Written or had published?
Novels published – one, ‘Harcourt’s Mountain’ – an historical romance.
Anthologies published in which a story of mine appears – one, ‘Bloody Parchment: Blue Honey and the Valley of Shadow’ – a collection of weird fiction/horror short stories. My contribution is called ‘The Man with a House on His Back’ which one reviewer called ‘redemptive horror’. I quite like that.
Works in progress – quite a few in all genres. The one closest to completion is, ‘The Device Hunter’ – a steampunk adventure. The second draft is currently being beta read.
There’s been a few years between the publication of my first novel and the hoped-for publication of the second. This might throw some folk into a tail spin but I apply the Jane Austen Good Books Rule: rather write fewer books that are very good than many books of poor, slapdash quality. In the meantime, I’m honing my skills writing short stories as I finesse, ‘The Device Hunter’.

What is your favorite genre to read?
I have a very eclectic taste in books – movies, music…and men as well come to that. Not to mention ice-cream.

What genre do you prefer to write?
       As you can tell by the books and short stories I’ve mentioned earlier I don’t, at the moment, have a favourite genre. To be honest I think I’d get bored writing in just one genre. And there’s enough paint-peeling boredom around already. To alleviate that, and to feed the need, I’m part of the Writers Write 12 Short Stories in 12 Months Challenge. I’ve discovered I enjoy telling short stories, especially slightly weird ones. I also love telling humour-with-an-edge and what-really-happened-when stories. I find romance easier to write but have never been a fan of doing something just because it’s easy. So, the short story challenge is very stimulating and keeps the boredom sharks at bay.

What inspired you to write, ‘Harcourt’s Mountain’?
I’ve always been interested in adventure and arranged marriages, and although it’s not quite an arranged marriage in ‘Harcourt’s Mountain’, it isn’t a marriage of love. I wanted to explore how that would play out in the middle of wild and unexplored 1867 British Columbia, where just going into town for supplies is an adventure.

Which is your favorite character in that book?
I like all of them, even the villains. But who would I choose to spend time with? Luke Harcourt, the hero, Hope Booker the woman he buys as a wife, Adam White Knife’s wife, Rachel. And how could I forget Miss Sylvie of Miss Sylvie’s Haberdashery and Ladies Emporium. Then there’s…too many to mention. 

Does your family support  your writing?
Yes, in a sense. I don’t think they could believe that something I wrote actually got published. Twice – so far. They’ve always thought I was weird - writing is just an extension of that. Even when I was a designer I was often asked when was I going to get a ‘real’ job. Wanting to be a full-time author scares them more than finding a colony of jelly fish in the bathtub. 

What do you like best about writing?
Having adventures vicariously through my characters. Being my own boss. Creating other worlds and people. The research. The language, words, grammar – or not, as the case may be. Seeing differently, gleaning ideas for stories from the most unpredictable places. But most of all…the sight of a blank page on my laptop.

 What is your ultimate life goal?
There are a few. But as we’re talking about writing: to be on the NY Times best seller list. To leave behind a few (or more) very good books. Ones that adhere strictly to the Jane Austen Good Books Rule.

What is the book you most wish to write in your secret heart?
The next one. 


Harcourt’s Mountain Synopsis
Spring, 1867 - the western frontier of British Columbia hardly seems a likely place for romance. Filthy, terrified and confused, Hope Booker is waiting to be sold off the 'bride ship'. Luke Harcourt happens upon the sale. It's not love at first sight, but he feels compelled to save her from a life of slavery and prostitution. To allay her fears of being raped by him, Luke promises never to touch her. Being a man of his word, this is a pledge he quickly finds almost impossible to keep.

Battling their growing attraction to each other, they must learn to live together in the forests of the wild and almost unexplored mountains. They face white water, Indians, wolves, and dangerous men.

No longer able to deny their feelings, their 'happy-ever-after' is shattered when a corrupt land baron forces Luke's hand. Enraged at the man's actions, Luke rides into town and disappears.

Alone and pregnant Hope faces the prospect of the worst winter in ten years.  The trauma of fighting off a hungry grizzly brings on labor, but the baby is stuck. Luke, meanwhile wakes up on a ship bound for South America, captained by a revengeful sadist who means to murder him. Luke's chances of survival are slim. Can he stay alive and make it back to Hope in time?
Book Cover

jpeg attached to email

Latest Review
NY Literary Magazine.
Jpeg attached to email.

Buy links

Publisher

Social Media Links:
Twitter: @ElaineRosemaryD
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ElaineRosemaryD/
Website: www.elainedodge.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment